Report a Repair

Welcome to Howard & Co repairs and maintenance reporting system. We appreciate that from time to time you may experience problems with your property and we’re here to help. This system is available for tenants of properties managed by us. If you are the tenant of a landlord managed property, please contact your landlord direct.

It is important to keep your property in the best possible state of repair and it is the tenant’s responsibility to promptly report any repairs or maintenance.

What Maintenance is a tenant responsible for?

Tenants are responsible for the following throughout their tenancy:

  • Replacing lightbulbs
  • Replacing fuses
  • Clearing blocked sinks and wastes
  • Most Condensation issues
  • All Cleaning
  • Replacing smoke alarm batteries
  • All Rubbish disposal
  • Cleaning extractor and filters
  • Garden maintenance (if applicable)

Reporting a maintenance issue:

Please report any repairs during usual office hours on 01903 212210 OR 24 HRS ON 01270 653100 or complete the form on this page clearly outlining the nature of the issue along with the full property address.

Out of Hours Emergency


Emergencies should be reported immediately. If the emergency arises outside usual office hours, please call our Out of Hours emergency number 01270 653100. Please note however, if an emergency call-out is instructed and it is determined that the problem is not an emergency after all and could have been dealt with during office hours, or if the problem has arisen because of tenant misuse, you may be charged the cost plus an administration fee.

What constitutes as an Emergency?

No heating

Total failure of a central heating system between the months of October and April inclusive is considered an emergency. However, the out of hours emergency service should only be used if you are going to be left without heating for more than 24 hours (e.g. over the weekend), or if a person or property is at risk due to a burst pipe causing a major leak from any part of the heating system.

Gas Leaks

You should call the National Grid (formerly Transco) in the first instance on 0800 111 999, who will attend to isolate the meter and make safe. If this results in a lack of heating, see “No heating”. If the outcome is a gas cooker or gas fire not working, out-of-hours action will not be deemed necessary where alternative cooking/heating facilities are available.

No hot water

The out-of-hours emergency service should only be used if you are going to be left without any hot water from any source for more than 24 hours (e.g. over the weekend).

Lack of power supply

Considered an emergency if there is a total loss throughout the property and, only then, after first checking:

  • The fuse board.
  • Neighbouring properties.
  • Or with the electricity supplier to determine whether there is a general power cut with electricity supplier or to determine whether the supply has been cut off due to unpaid bills or failure to pay for connection.

Total lack of water supply

Considered an emergency if there is total lack if water supply anywhere in the property. The water supplier should be contacted in the first instance to ensure that works are not being carried out in the area.

Plumbing leaks

Considered an emergency if it cannot be contained and is causing damage, especially if penetrating an electrical fitting. You should isolate the leak by turning the water off at the stopcock or gate valve until the contractor attends to identify the source and carry out the necessary repairs. If the leak is coming from a property above or adjacent, you should contact those occupants immediately.

Roof Leaks

Considered an emergency if the leak is causing major damage or is penetrating an electrical fitting. In wet, windy or dark conditions, a contractor would be sent to make safe only. Only in safe conditions will a contractor attend to identify the source and carry out the necessary repairs.

Damage to roofs

Considered an emergency if hazardous, such as slates possibly falling on to a public highway.

Downpipes & Gutters

Considered an emergency only if water is entering the building causing major damage or a loose part is dangerous and cannot be made safe.


Clearing blocked waste outlets, traps and pipes to the kitchen sink, bath, wash basins, etc is the tenant’s responsibility. If a contractor is dispatched, tenants will be recharged the cost of attending to any blockages if it is found to have been caused by the tenant’s negligent action, e.g. flushing of nappies, disposal of food.

  • Toilets – considered an emergency if the only toilet on the premises is blocked, and only then if attempts to flush with a bucket of water have failed.
  • Showers, Baths or Sinks – considered an emergency only if there is no other means of washing available in the property.
  • Drains – considered an emergency if damage is being caused, or it’s causing a Health & Safety problem, or it’s preventing the use of the toilet (see ‘toilets’).

Broken Windows

You should notify the police in the first instance and obtain a crime reference number, unless the damage has been caused by you, in which case, the cost will be recharged to you. If out-of-hours, a contractor will be dispatched to attend and board up if the damaged glass is dangerous or the window is on the ground floor or any other place likely to make the property vulnerable to criminals.

Insecure property

If the property is insecure as a result of a break-in, e.g. damaged door, you should notify the police in the first instance and obtain a crime reference number. A ground floor window being jammed open or an inoperable lock would also be considered an emergency.

Lock outs

If we manage your property at Howard & Co not the landlord directly then we will usually hold a key. Out of office hours assistance is chargeable at £35 + Vat to let you back in. Alternatively If as a result of losing a key or locking it inside the property, you could call local locksmith although this will be more expensive and at your own expense. If we were to dispatch a contractor under these circumstances, the cost would be recharged to you.

Defective manhole covers

Considered an emergency if the cover is missing, or if the damaged or loose manhole cover is dangerous.

Dangerous Walls & Fences

Considered an emergency if in a dangerous condition, e.g. storm damage or accidental impact damage. These will be made safe in the first instance. Repairs and/or rebuilds will not be treated as an emergency.

Here you can log your property maintenance requests and our team will endeavour to respond as soon as possible. Please use the notes field at the end to add any additional information not covered in the form directly.

Please note that items marked with a * are required

Please send me property marketing information.

I understand that I can withdraw my consent or update my contact preferences at any time by contacting Howard & Co.

Your Data is safe with us. If you cannot, or do not wish to fill in the form, phone us on 01903 212210 .

Please read our Privacy Policy if you are worried about giving us this information.

You only need to click this button once - a confirmation page will be shown when completed.